FOOD and all that it can do for your mood. A horrid day can be put straight by good food. The aromas, the textures, the assault on the taste buds can make one forget all the worries and the woes.

At the same time a little extra salt/ sugar, an extra unrequired minute on the stove, a slightly burnt smell and it kills even the most romantic of moods.

I myself, am no gourmet cook nor do i have the facilities to be one, but I make do with what i have and do manage to cook well enough.

I don't gorge on red meat neither on sea food, yet, within the world of vegan and white meat, I love to explore, evperience and experiment.

I can't hog nor can I criticize, but I am a self-proclaimed FOODIE......

And this space is all about my experiments with FOOD





Sunday, January 16, 2011

PASTA - POPEYE STYLE

If I had to one character from the POPEYE THE SAILOR-MAN.........I'd definitely be Bruto.
like Bruto i hate the sight of the dreaded green vegetable - Spinach.

But even for a cynic like me there are two ways in which one just can't go wrong with Spinach. With cottage cheese ( Palak Paneer) and secondly, the Italian way i.e. with Pasta. So here is a tried and tested and totally rocking recipe of a healthy yet delightful Spinachy Pasta.



Ingredients:
Pasta
Spinach (15-20 leaves)
Butter (2 tbsp)
Flour (1/2 cup)
Milk (half liter)
Cheese (there's never enough of cheese)
Diced Capsicum, Carrot and Tomatoes ( 2 cups)

1. Boil any pasta of your choice till al-dente. blanch in cold water. Keep aside.

2.For the Spinach puree
Boil 15-20 leaves of spinach in just enough water to soak them for 5 mins.
Add salt, a little pepper and chilly and blend the boiled spinach to make the puree.

3. For the white sauce
Put a saucepan on medium flame add the butter. Add the flour to melted butter while stirring. When it gets
a slightly golden tinge slowly start adding a little milk. Keep stirring.
When the sauce starts to thicken a bit, add a half tsp of salt and stir in the vegetables. let it all simmer for 3-4
minutes. By now the sauce should have reached the desired consistency.
Mix in the puree and cheese, stir and add in the already cooked pasta. Cook for two minutes. Take off the flame.
Add freshly ground pepper and finely chopped parsley and lots of grated cheese. Serve Hot.

The pasta tastes yummilicious.
But what made it one of my best culinary success ever is when my cousin asked - "Is it okay if I eat directly from the pan" and the sound of the pan being scraped of the last dibs of sauce was music to the ears.

3 comments:

  1. oh i want my share to miss !!
    adamant i will be about it.
    so when is it happening??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you write there are no questions raised about you being a foodie! :)
    Loved the post, looking forward to many many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spinach pasta nahi khilaya :P
    white sauce one was too good...n wat was d other ??

    ReplyDelete