FOOD and all that it can do for your mood. A horrid day can be put straight by good food. The aromas, the textures, the assault on the taste buds can make one forget all the worries and the woes.

At the same time a little extra salt/ sugar, an extra unrequired minute on the stove, a slightly burnt smell and it kills even the most romantic of moods.

I myself, am no gourmet cook nor do i have the facilities to be one, but I make do with what i have and do manage to cook well enough.

I don't gorge on red meat neither on sea food, yet, within the world of vegan and white meat, I love to explore, evperience and experiment.

I can't hog nor can I criticize, but I am a self-proclaimed FOODIE......

And this space is all about my experiments with FOOD





Sunday, January 2, 2011

SNEAK PEAK...........STEAL AND EAT

If you ever follow Nigella Lawson's cookery show, you'll notice that the last clip is always the one where she sneaks out to her kitchen at night and plops into her mouth whatever in that huge fridge of hers catches her fancy.

Now, i have spent the last year living in a hostel where i have full freedom to eat whatever i want and whenever i want it. So, i never understood the novelty of sneaking food into my stomach this way.

Still i was pretty intrigued....

So this past month i decided to follow in Nigella's footsteps. And guess what - it is actually a lot of fun. It's suicide for the health but the entire hidey-ho feel of staving off hunger and, more importantly, boredom is really quite awesome.

To sneak downstairs at two in the morning, all the way assailed with the constant fear of waking up my light-sleeper mom. Peaking all around the staircase in the dim lights of my mobile display so as not to do a Humpty-Dumpty. Walking barefoot on the cold floor and opening the kitchen door all the while praying it won't squeak. Phew.

It has actually been so much enjoyable that till now I've managed four such trips downstairs. Once for coffee and plum cake (yummy) and the next time to warm up the bowl of noodles (mmmm..) sitting in the fridge. Coupled it with a few episodes of F.R.I.E.N.D.S and it actually made for a blissful night of sleep.

It is something that i found that i quite love to do right before i slip into my warm toasty duvet with a good book. The laughs that James Herriot hilarious novels draw are very well complimented with that stolen last piece of melt-in-the-mouth chocolate pastry or a hot cup of tea and a pack of biscuits.

I can only assure you that all of this food which i tasted snuggled in my bed tasted ambrosiac that late at night. The sneak peak...steal and eat routine actually makes me hungry and the food that i manage to sneak into my room had some amazing flavour quality to it.

This post might seem exaggerated, but i think that those stolen moments of childlike behaviour render some of its sweet and salty quality to the food. And although, I guess, following Nigella this way is not exactly a good habit. But a bit of fun never hurts, huh.

 So do try to sneak in your kitchen sometime at night. Oh! And remember to steal something that your mum will definitely notice missing the next day. The perplexed expression on their face is just added bonus :P

3 comments: